Faculty Accommodations

Disability Accommodation Request Process for Faculty

The Americans with Disabilities Act and the New Jersey Law Against Discrimination prohibit discrimination on the basis of disability in employment and require that employers provide reasonable accommodations to qualified employees with disabilities, unless doing so would cause undue hardship.  The term disability is broadly defined to include, but is not limited to, any of the following:

  • Physical impairment (including pregnancy and “pregnancy-related condition”);
  • Mental impairment (i.e., psychological); and
  • Learning Disability.

The Office of Academic Labor Relations (ALR) oversees and facilitates requests for accommodations received from faculty members with a disability.  If a faculty member believes that he or she is in need of a reasonable accommodation based on a disability, he/she should contact ALR.  The faculty member, a family member, or someone else designated by the faculty member may notify the University on the faculty member’s behalf of his/her need for a reasonable accommodation. 

In order to request an accommodation, a faculty member will need to complete an Accommodation Request Form, and his/her health care provider will need to complete a Medical Inquiry Form .  Both of these should be returned directly to ALR via regular mail, email or fax once they have been completed. 

If you have specific questions regarding the faculty accommodation request process, please do not hesitate to contact ALR:

Office of Academic Labor Relations

178 Ryders Lane, Suite 308

New Brunswick, NJ  08901


telephone: 848-932-7174

fax: 732-932-8326

For information regarding disability accommodations for staff employees, please contact the Office of Employment Equity.

Resource Category
Faculty Resources